Thursday, November 17, 2011

Healthy Cookies!!

 Finally, after many horrible attempts at making a healthy cookie I found a recipe that suits me. The healthy baked oatmeal bars were to mushy. The Aussie bites crumbled easily and were dry.  I love, love the Vanishing Oatmeal cookie & sub the all-purpose-flour for spelt, barley or whole wheat flour, but it has still too much sugar to eat with no holds barred. 

My sister has been trying the Paleo diet. It really is healthy to eat only whole foods, meat, no grains or sugar and limited dairy. I personally couldn't go without dairy, and think that certain whole grains are good for you. I'm also a sugar addict so, you got me there. Nether-the-less, I have been looking up Paleo recipes for dinners, desserts and my christmas present to her, a (mostly) Paleo Christmas dinner. Lo and behold I found a GREAT cookie! wha hoo!


The N'Oatmeal cookie. (Not Oatmeal cookie).
Adapted from Stacey's Paleo Kitchen. 

Wet Ingredients @ room temperature*
  • 1 small banana mashed
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (warmed)
  • 2 eggs (v)
  • 2 tbsp milk (v)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
Dry Ingredients
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tsp baking soda 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon

Add Ins - About 2 cups total or more
What I used:
  • 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (v) (I can't make cookies without chocolate in them :)
    Other suggested add ins:
    • Raisins
    • Dried Blueberries or cherries
    • Chopped dates
    • Cacao nibs
    • Goji berries
    • Flax Seeds**
    • walnuts & pecans
    • Whole grain oats, barley or Quinoa flakes

    1. In a big bowl mash the banana. Add the remaining wet ingredients at room temperature*. maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs, milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
    2. In another bowl add dry ingredients. Almond flour, coconut, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix to combine.
    3. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
    4. Stir in to this mixture your add ins.
    5. Mix until thoroughly combined.
    6. Scoop onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Let them cool on the pan slightly before removing to a cooling rack.



    *If the wet ingredients are cold it will cause the coconut oil to congeal.
    **Flax seed should be ground. Your body cannot process the exterior to get to the good stuff, though it will provide lots of fiber if whole. Flax oil should not ever be cooked, put oil in smoothies and such for the full benefits.
    (v) The original recipe called for almond or goat milk. For my vegan friends, I'm sure you can make some easy substitutions to the egg, milk & chocolate chips.


    Enjoy!

    I would seriously let Lottie eat as many of these as she wants. There isn't anything in them I wouldn't serve her by itself. I love how fluffy they are with the added crunch of the seeds. Be careful though. They are very satisfying, 3 cookies can leave a belly feeling full.

    1 comment: