Monday, November 22, 2010

Toddler Activities, Fall Crafts

I didn’t think we were watching television all that much. She took to YoGabba Gabba very early and it has been a life saver while I get ready in the morning or make dinner. Lately I have been turning on the T.V. in the morning. Usually Jack’s Big Music Show is on and she sits nicely in her pink squishy chair watching tv, eating cereal and fruit while I make coffee, an “egglish muffin” (So I call ‘em) and get some clothes on. Then I dress her and we head out the door. If she wont nap then she is in my arms nurse-napping while I eat lunch and watch my shows (Food Network most of the time). With the cold weather lately and Lottie determined to nurse and wiggle in my arms for 3 hours, instead of napping, we’ve had the television on for a good part of the afternoon.

Recently while at a playgroup, I found her comfortably perched in the pillows of the couch pointing to the television “T! T!”, she says. And in the morning, “Hi mommy, hi daddy, T! T! T!.”

We Have Got To Find activities that can keep both of our attention during the day, keep us away from the TV and Keep my mind off the things I think I need to go out and purchase. We have a lot on our schedule already. Monday- playgroup, Tuesday- errands or Tot Yoga, Wednesday- Library music time, Thursday- Baby Yoga, Friday- playground or something. We’ve done critter classes, swim classes, & I’m looking into more music time. With as much as we go-go-go, I really don’t want to GO anywhere else.

So, I’m looking into toddler activities, and the kind of schedule preschools keep. I love staying at home with Lottie-- we have flexibility, I get to see her develop right before my eyes, and it’s fun (most of the time). We read a lot, play outside, color everyday and have tried a few craft projects, but we need more, much more to keep our attention.

My plan is to post the toddler activities, crafts and other semi-structured activities we try-- fun or flop. 

Painted Leaves- After purchasing finger paints and jumbo brushes we tried some painting outside. Seeing the dogwood leaves on the ground I grabbed some and tried to paint and stamp them on the paper. (It didn’t work to well). The paint was too thick and the ground was too uneven to press the leaves, it was a mess and Lottie was done with the project at the height of my experimentation and messiness.
I tried it again recently with a hard surface, a thin coat of paint and some nice pressure on the leaf. 
Voila! Pretty pressed fall goodness.

 
Wrapping Paper
Anytime I get the paints or crayons out we color up some old paper bags. My plan is to use these as wrapping paper for Christmas gifts. This week I forgot my reusable bags, had to get more Publix brown bags and noticed they have a large dove on one side for the holidays, so I cut the dove out and have been using the negative as a stencil. The positive may get painted and stamped like the leaves above. 


Fallen Leaves Wreath / Center Piece.
This project is a conglomeration of several activities I have come across looking for something to do with the pretty fall leaves in our neighborhood.

First we took a walk and gathered leaves. I had a big pail and Lottie had her own pail, which was promptly dumped with a “Yay!” when entered our yard, but that’s o.k. because it was mostly filled with dirt and rocks.


We painted the edges of the paper plates in fall colors. These are going to be the base for the wreath. Egg cartons make great paint trays. When doing crafts I try not to do Lottie’s project, instead I do my own craft next to her-- lead by example, but still have one beautiful little mess of her own creation. 



We like to paint outside only so our mess is limited. I read that a project should not take longer to setup than it does to complete. Well, when you have a toddler it takes a bit to get changed, tape down protection paper, get the paints, brushes and other materials set up, only to have her make a couple strokes then go running after the kitty! Think in 5-10 minute sections when planning out craft projects.


The leaves get pressed between two sheets of wax paper during nap time. Put an old rag down, wax paper, leaves, wax paper then another rag. Press with an iron. No steam. Don’t slide or press too hard until the edges are sealed. I was going to cut the leaves leaving a seamed edge but I didn’t like the opaqueness (I was expecting a laminated look). Instead I peeled the wax paper off the leaves, with the wax transferred onto the leaf. I’m not looking for product that lasts forever, but hope the wax will preserve the leaves a little longer.



Glue leaves to the plates. Put glue down then let the little ones stick the leaves any which way they please or have them point to where they want the leaves. We did pointing and placing for our googly eyed pumpkin too.


Cut the center of the plates. For a wreath punch 2 holes in the top and hang with ribbon or place pillar candles to make a festive centerpiece. Since Lottie painted the center of her plate and not edges, hers is a festive wall hanging. Grandma will love it. 



Hints: Next time I will not bother with the wax paper. The heat caused some of the prettiest leaves to turn brown and I’m not sure that it will actually preserve them for longer. Also, I would place the paper plates right side up to paint the edges, this way if you want to put a candle in the middle for center piece there is no need for cutting and the plate will catch any wax drippings.


Hey Teachers,

Why do leaves change color in the fall?
Here is an excerpt from Science Made Simple:

Plants make their food using sunlight and something called chlorophyll. Chlorophyll gives leaves their green color.
Winter days are short and dry. Many plants stop making food in the fall. The chlorophyll goes away. Then we can see orange and yellow colors. These colors were in the leaves all summer, but the green covered them up.
Some leaves turn red. This color is made in the fall, from food trapped in the leaves.

Here are some Project Learning Tree activities.



What? What? You haven’t attended a 6 hour PLT workshop to receive this excellent activity workbook? Have no fear! I am a trained Project Learning Tree Facilitator and I am willing to host a workshop late spring/ early fall in the Tallahassee area if there is interest. Are you interested? Are your friends or homeschool network interested? Contact me and let me know what dates work best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment